Rhinoplasty operation is a medical term for nose job or nose surgery and is a branch of plastic surgery. This procedure reshapes and reconstructs the nose.
Changing the structure of the nose usually is possible by removing or adding bone and cartilage, using grafts and implants in rhinoplasty surgery. This type of plastic surgery is common between both men and women, and it is one of the most popular surgeries in the world.
Most of the time, rhinoplasty does for cosmetic and aesthetic goals. For example people with too large nose and crooked nose are so interested in nasal surgery, but it can be done for correcting functional issues. For instance, if a person has difficulty breathing or deviated septum, doing rhinoplasty procedure can improve his or her breathing by straightening airflow passage of the nose.
Rhinoplasty operation Risks and Side Effects
All kind of plastic surgeries including rhinoplasty carry some risks and side effects. Although serious complications about nose surgery are rare, but regarding them can help you to make the best decision about each kind of surgery. Of course, choosing a professional and board-certified plastic surgeon will reduce the risks of rhinoplasty to minimum. Some of rhinoplasty side effects and risks are listed below:
- Nose bleeding
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia drugs
- Scar after rhinoplasty
- Swelling especially around the nose and eyes is common side effect after nose job, after two weeks swells will fade gradually.
- Pain after nose surgery is natural. That is minor pain, but if you are sensitive, it ban relieve by pain killers.
- Bruising around the eyes and nose is one of common side effects after rhinoplasty. It takes almost ten days for bruise to disappear, but if it persists more, let your surgeon know and monitor your condition.
Due to rhinoplasty or nose job is a individual procedure, risks and side effects after surgery are different in each person. So these can vary in each person slightly. Find a skillful nasal surgeon and planning ahead will help you to decrease side effects.
Steps of Rhinoplasty Procedure
- After all steps, in the day of surgery you go to the hospital and clinic, and steps of rhinoplasty procedure will be done. These steps includes are mentioned here:
- Anesthesia that has two types, local or general anesthesia is for your calmness during surgery. Let your surgeon decide about this case, because he or she knows better which way is better for you.
- Making incision or cut across the columella to achieve bone and cartilage.
- After incision is made, by lifting the skin of the nose, surgeon reaches the bone and cartilage to make changes and reshape the nose.
- After alerting and sculpting the underlying parts, incision is closed with stitches.
- After surgery you should do post-operation required actions to reduce recovery time line, and make your healing process easier.
- Recovery time after rhinoplasty depends on personal characteristic. usually after two weeks, result of the nose surgery and outcome will appear gradually, and side effects will be gone, but final outcome and result on the nose job will be obvious after a year.
So be patient and do your surgeon’s recommendations to get the best result.
Dr. Farshid Mahboubirad